How do I Place Holds?
Placing a hold in the catalog allows you to request that a copy of an item be sent to the library of your choice for pickup. There are two ways to request a hold online.
To place a hold:
- Search the catalog and find the record for the item you want.
- Select the "Place a Hold" button at the top of the screen.
- Enter your name, your 14 digit library barcode and your PIN and select "Submit."
- Choose a pickup location from the dropdown menu. You may pick up a hold at any one of the eighteen public libraries in Chester County. Select "Submit."
- Select "Yes" in the dialogue box with the text "This page contains both secure and nonsecure items. Do you want to display the nonsecure items?" Neither your computer nor your account information will be affected.
- From the Hold Verification screen, choose "Regular display" to return to the previous catalog record or "Start over" to continue searching. You will remain in your record and will not need to re-enter your personal information for any further holds.
Alternatively, you may first enter My Account and then search for the item(s) you want to "hold." After you find an item, select "place a hold" and then "Choose a pickup location."
You may also place a hold in person at your library, or by telephone by speaking with a library employee.
You will be notified when the material is ready for you. We recommend giving us your email address for the quickest notification. You have one week to pick up the material, unless otherwise indicated.
Materials which are not eligible for holds:
- long overdue
- in mending
- in storage
- in processing
Patrons who are unable to place holds:
- those who already have 30 holds
- those with long overdue items
- those who are in Collection
If you are coming to the library the same day to pick up a hold, call the library ahead of time.